Carrot & Beetroot Hummus - 2 Easy Dips That Takes Your Party to the Next Level
I figured it was time for a little recipe again. Maybe it's because I'm going to Turkey on Saturday that I've had hummus on my mind? I don't know... In any case I decided to be a bit ballsy this time and make two new versions (YOLO, right;)): A Carrot and a beetroot hummus. The carrot was my favorite because of the sweetness, but the beetroot was also super tasty. So if you ever have an old beetroot and 2 carrots taking up space in your fridge, you should definitely give both versions a try. I make both from the base of regular Hummus and then I simply add the vegetables which I've baked in the oven for around 35 minutes beforhand.
The Hummus' are great for dinner parties as they are easy to make and can last 2 days in the fridge if stored correctly.
Beetroot & Carrot Hummus - The Base
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (19 fluid ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Pinch salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 small beet and 2 regular sized carrots
- Pre-heat oven to 225 degrees
- Line a baking dish with tin foil. Peel the beet and carrots and chop both into pieces
- Add beet and carrots to the foil-lined baking dish (keep them separated) and add some salt and oil. Roast for at least 35 minutes - until the vegetables are tender. Check if beet is done by inserting a skewer. If it slides in easily (through the beet's centre), it's done.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- When the beet is cooling, you can get the hummus going. Add the chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, salt, and pepper. Blend on high and slowly drizzle in olive oil. Blend until smooth (this may take a few minutes).
- separate the hummus base into 2 equally big portions. Keep one portion in the blender and put the rest in a bowl. Start with the carrot hummus (as it colours the least). Ad the baked carrots and Blend on high until it's smooth and mixed together.
- Take the finished carrot hummus out of the bowl and do the same procedure with the beetroot hummus.
- Serve chilled the hummus' with an extra drizzle of olive oil if desired and some carrot stick/bread.